LEMS measures external and internal diameters, wall thickness, external and internal ovality and eccentricity.
Laser EndS Measurement System (LEMS)
To reduce installation cycle time, the offshore industry demands tight dimensional tolerances on steel pipe ends. Furthermore, for line pipe subject to high dynamic loads, such as steel catenary risers and fatigue-sensitive flowlines, a full geometrical assessment of pipe ends enables a more efficient alignment of the ends and also minimizes the Hi/Lo differential prior to welding offshore.
Using its Laser Ends Measurement System (LEMS), Tenaris is able to perform automated dimensional inspection and measurement of pipes in terms of the following variables:
- External and internal diameters
- Wall thicknesses
- External and internal ovality
The system generates a complete list of the dimensions of each pipe. It provides cost savings through reductions in logistics and pipe handling requirements.
The Laser Ends Measurement System is a powerful tool for process control during pipe production. It also provides services that facilitate pipe welding and/or AUT control after welding, thereby reducing laying time and, in turn, total cost.
Potential applications include:
- Complete dimensional assessment of pipe ends: the measurement of each pipe end by Laser Ends Measurement System is guaranteed to provide information that can be used as decision-making tool
- Sorting of pipe families: the division of pipe into families according to ID in order to improve pipe weldability, or according to wall thickness in order to facilitate AUT control
- Tenaris best matching: this creates the “perfect“ column to optimize Hi/Lo up to a maximum of 0.5 mm, thereby improving the fatigue resistance of the column for the most challenging deep-water applications
- Tenaris ID counterboring: this provides a perfect ID to minimize materials removal during the boring/machining operations. It provides wall thickness post-machining calculations that allow for a selection of an optimum AUT calibration block wall thickness
Tenaris supplied Technip with ID counterboring analysis for the Chinook & Cascade risers and family sorting by ID tolerances for Kizomba D.